[OpenAFS-devel] [Patch] add module license macro to Linux kernel module

Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org
Sat, 7 May 2005 09:48:22 -0400

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 12:34:53AM -0400, Chaskiel Grundman wrote:
> > however, I think it'd be *beter* if the
> >message weren't "libafs: module license 'unspecified' taints kernel", which
> >can look kind of scary. So, this makes it be "libafs: module license 'IBM
> >Public License Version 1.0' taints kernel" instead, which is at least more
> My objection to doing this is that while it will help some users, it also
> in sense legitimizes the whole license checking scheme, and I'd rather we
> didn't help do that.

The license-checking scheme is *there*, and it's as legitimate as it's ever
going to get. I think having a open source / free software, non-GPL, clearly
non-derived work correctly labelled actually does more to help than hurt,
because currently, pretty much all widely-talked-about examples are actually
proprietary code.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>