[OpenAFS-devel] [Patch] add module license macro to Linux kernel module

Andres Salomon dilinger@athenacr.com
Sun, 08 May 2005 00:28:35 -0400

On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 23:24 -0500, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
> On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 07:52:16PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@hozed.org> writes:
> >
> > > Speaking of the debian packages... Is there a reason that compiled
> > > kernel modules aren't distributed? I had a user get rather pissed off
> > > when he updated his debian system and afs dissappeared.
> >
> > I don't know personally; my guess would be lack of time.  It's something
> > that I'd like to look at for etch.
> >
> > > FYI, I used the following script to build debian packages.. Can we at
> > > least have openafs-modules-source try to build binary packages?
> >
> > I don't understand what you mean.
>
> I want openafs-modules-source to attempt to automatically build the
> module for the running kernel when you install it. (Or at least ask if
> you want to try to build the module)

This is something we (the kernel maintainers) need to make happen when
we redo the kernel packaging.  A hook when the -source package is
installed, an another hook when a kernel is installed, that takes care
of recompiling modules for the new or running kernel.