[OpenAFS-devel] [Patch] add module license macro to Linux kernel module

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sat, 07 May 2005 23:34:34 -0700

Tim Spriggs <tims@lpl.arizona.edu> writes:

> For what it is worth, I rather enjoy the modules-source packages that
> are shipped with debian. Once I have installed all of the source
> packages all I have to do to compile them is un-tar [bz2|gz] the files
> in the /usr/src directory, cd into my kernel source directory and issue
> "make modules_image". This creates appropriate packages for my kernel
> and seems to work flawlessly for me but then I've used Debian Linux for
> a while.

Yeah, I love make-kpkg.  module-assistant makes this even easier, and is
the direction in which I think people should move; having started to use
it, it's an improvement even over make-kpkg.

> As far as automatically building the source is concerned, the kernel
> headers for the currently installed kernel would need to be installed as
> well. I am probably not an expert but it seems as though that will get
> sticky very quickly when we are talking about dependancies since the
> kernel-image and kernel-headers packages are two seperate beasts.

module-assistant already has logic to deal with this.

There will be a lot of cases in which automatic building won't be
possible, in which case the package can say so and point people in the
right direction.  I think the goal is more to get the 80% cases
automatically and not worry too much about the edge cases.