[OpenAFS-devel] [Patch] add module license macro to Linux kernel module

Tim Spriggs tims@lpl.arizona.edu
Sat, 07 May 2005 23:27:19 -0700

Russ Allbery wrote:

>Andres Salomon <dilinger@athenacr.com> writes:
>

>>On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 23:24 -0500, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
>>

>>>I want openafs-modules-source to attempt to automatically build the
>>>module for the running kernel when you install it. (Or at least ask if
>>>you want to try to build the module)
>>>

>>This is something we (the kernel maintainers) need to make happen when
>>we redo the kernel packaging.  A hook when the -source package is
>>installed, an another hook when a kernel is installed, that takes care
>>of recompiling modules for the new or running kernel.
>>

>This is also Debian bug #168852.  I'd love to do this, but don't know
>exactly how to do it safely.  I'd love to cooperate with the kernel
>package maintainers on finding a good way to do this.  The OpenAFS build
>system is rather more complex than most of the other kernel module
>examples I've been able to find.

For what it is worth, I rather enjoy the modules-source packages that
are shipped with debian. Once I have installed all of the source
packages all I have to do to compile them is un-tar [bz2|gz] the files
in the /usr/src directory, cd into my kernel source directory and issue
"make modules_image". This creates appropriate packages for my kernel
and seems to work flawlessly for me but then I've used Debian Linux for
a while.

As far as automatically building the source is concerned, the kernel
headers for the currently installed kernel would need to be installed as
well. I am probably not an expert but it seems as though that will get
sticky very quickly when we are talking about dependancies since the
kernel-image and kernel-headers packages are two seperate beasts. To
explain further, if two kernel images are installed, are the headers for
both kernels required? If so, how is this implemented? Perhaps the
openafs-modules-source could simply build the kernel modules for all
kernel-headers or kernel-source packages installed on the system?

-Tim