[OpenAFS-devel] Why I like libtool

Jim Rees rees@umich.edu
Fri, 13 May 2005 11:59:27 -0400

  I thought I answered, but maybe I didn't.  libtool is covered under the
  same licensing as Autoconf, so that isn't a problem.

I wouldn't say that isn't a problem.  Right now I can run regen.sh to make a
configure script that can be bundles into a tarball and used on any system.
I don't think that's the case with libtool.  As far as I can tell, and
correct me if I'm wrong, libtool needs to be built for each platform.  And
because it's GPL, we can't ship it with our source tarballs.

So that means anyone who wants to build openafs from source now has to first
acquire and build libtool.  This is a change from the current situation,
which requires someone to build the configure script, but does not require
the end user (the guy building from source) to install any GPL software.