[OpenAFS-devel] Why I like libtool

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 13 May 2005 08:48:01 -0700

Jim Rees <rees@umich.edu> writes:

> If I agree to allow libtool into the tree, will you be willing to fix it
> when it breaks on Open, Net, and FreeBSD?

Those are all broken right *now*.  That's the thing.  Switching to libtool
for building the shared libraries would seem unlikely to make them less
broken.

I certainly don't want to use libtool to build the entire project!  Just
the objects that go into shared libraries.

> Is there any way to at least un-hide the .lib directory?

I don't believe that there is, no, at least without modifying the libtool
source (something that would sort of defeat the point, although that's a
minor modification).

> Also, I don't remember getting an answer to the licensing question.

I thought I answered, but maybe I didn't.  libtool is covered under the
same licensing as Autoconf, so that isn't a problem.