[OpenAFS-devel] "Communication Failure" moving large volume

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 17 May 2005 23:12:06 -0400

On Tuesday, May 17, 2005 09:43:49 AM -0600 Chris Kuethe
<chris.kuethe@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got a repeatable failure moving a volume to a new server: after
> 43.8GB have been moved, I get the error below. This has left me with a
> volume that is pretty much inaccessible - it seems to be there, but
> any attempts to access it fail with an "operation not supported by
> device" error, or the volume is just not visible. Prior to the move,
> the volume was happy at about 60GB for six months.

"possible communication failure" here generally means that one of the
servers in question became nonresponsive, or that one of the calls was
aborted at an unexpected time.  In order to determine what is really going
on here, you will need to look at the volserver logs on both servers.