[OpenAFS-devel] automatically spawning afsd from kernelspace?

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Wed, 18 May 2005 11:31:36 +0200

On May 18, 2005, at 10:31 AM, Niklas Edmundsson wrote:

> On Wed, 18 May 2005, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:

>> several
>> hacks there of are looking in several different places. And no, I
>> don't
>> have time to re-write them, I'm just being a whiner right now.
>
> Try using modprobe on a non-Linux box.
>
> I think one point being missed is that the current way of doing things
> is pretty similar for all architectures. You don't want to fragment
> the already fragmented code into more "on this architecture we do this
> instead of that"... There's enough architechture-specific obfuscation
> going on as is...

Thanks Nikke ;-)
I was just about to type almost the same thing when your mail came in

I have one more point. There are platforms where AFS isn't a
dynamically loaded kernel module so we're a bit in trouble on those
platforms with your suggested solution.

On IRIX and HPUX (actually I never tried anything else on HPUX) the
static modules are more stable for me, so that's what I use... and it
just works. :-)

Horst