[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Delta pod-man-pages-20051015 messes up build on systems without pod2man

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 17:49:29 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Rainer Toebbicke <rtb@pclella.cern.ch> writes:
>
>> The delta pod-man-pages-20051015 makes AFS unbuildable on systems
>> lacking the 'pod2man' command (in our case: Solaris 8).
>
>> With the attached patch the build works again at least - without man pages.
>
> This isn't the right fix.  The man pages should be built as part of the
> release process and included in the release tarball.  People building CVS
> checkouts will need to have pod2man installed unless we want to add some
> configure magic for that case, but just ignoring all errors will mean
> we'll miss something important.

The problem is that means really it should be a separate makefile not part
of the build system, and we have no mechanism for that at all.