[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Delta pod-man-pages-20051015 messes up build on systems without pod2man

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 09 Nov 2005 15:35:58 -0800

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
> On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> This isn't the right fix.  The man pages should be built as part of the
>> release process and included in the release tarball.  People building
>> CVS checkouts will need to have pod2man installed unless we want to add
>> some configure magic for that case, but just ignoring all errors will
>> mean we'll miss something important.

> The problem is that means really it should be a separate makefile not
> part of the build system, and we have no mechanism for that at all.

We have regen.sh; it could run a target in a separate makefile in that
directory.  That's probably the easiest and fastest thing to do.
Alternately, maybe it's time for some additional build hacking so that we
can put together a real make release target that makes sure that all of
the generated bits are generated.  That way, we could remove build
dependencies on lex and yacc too.

What we have now won't hurt anything in the short run, so I'm going to
work on getting the man pages up to snuff first and then come back and
revisit this.