[OpenAFS-devel] 50 second fetch-data?

Jim Rees rees@umich.edu
Thu, 06 Oct 2005 12:54:56 -0400

  How many IP addresses has this client used to speak with the server(s)
  in question?

In all cases where I know the answer, it's "1".  And no nat or firewall.

  Are the tcpdumps taken from the server side?  If so, are there any
  WhoAreYou queries being sent between the start of the delay and the
  finish?

All traces I have are from the client side and show no rx activity other
than ack between the request and the (much delayed) reply.

  If so, 1.3.87 does not contain the fix for the UUID to IP address
  mapping problems in which an IP address gets reused by a second or
  third client and the file server merges all three clients into one.
  This was fixed in 1.4.0-rc1.

I don't think that's the problem we're seeing here.  I am having this
problem on two different clients and both of them have been fixed at their
own ip addresses for years.

So far I have server versions for two instances of this problem:

AFS version:  OpenAFS 1.3.81 built  2005-04-07
AFS version:  OpenAFS 1.2.13 built  2004-11-11

My current suspicion is that there is nothing wrong with the file server at
all, and it's waiting for some other service, like maybe ptserver.