[OpenAFS-devel] time synchronization status

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 00:59:54 -0400

On Tuesday, October 11, 2005 10:16:34 AM -0400 Jeffrey Altman
<jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> seth vidal wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>  I was trying to find a roadmap for openafs specifically I was curious
>> if the time synchronization feature would be maintained or if it is
>> going to be deprecated. I had thought I read something suggesting it
>> would be deprecated but I can't find the reference anymore. Any
>> suggestions? I don't want to do some work banking on it being there if
>> it won't be. :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -sv
>
> You should not rely on AFS for time synchronization.

BTW, this statement has nothing to do with whether or not we've been
planning on eliminating the feature.  It's been true for a very long time.
If you need halfway-decent time synchronization (and for AFS, you do), then
you should be using NTP.

All major operating systems ship with functional NTP clients.  Most ship
with serviceable default configurations (if you are running a large site
the polite thing to do is run your own servers to keep off-site traffic to
a minimum).  There really is no good reason not to use it.

-- Jeff