[OpenAFS-devel] OpenBSD build

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:59:48 -0400

On Thursday, October 20, 2005 07:31:12 PM -0400 Derrick J Brashear
<shadow@dementia.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Jim Rees wrote:
>
>> Any idea why src/sys no longer builds on OpenBSD from cvs head?
>
> It wasn't obvious on first glance, I thought the dependancy would just
> cause it be touched on a bsd.

Chas and I talked about this a bit offline.
The dependency causes syscall.o to be touched on NetBSD, instead of
being built (there is nothing to go into it on that platform).

That works fine as long as you're building an archive library, which is
really just a collection of files in a specialized archive format.  An
empty file is still a legitimate file, and so can be added to an archive.

It doesn't work when building shared libraries, which are the result of
processing by the link editor.  An empty file is _not_ a valid object, and
cannot be used as input to the linker.

The right thing to do here is to omit syscall.o from both libraries on
platforms where it is not needed, instead of kludging around the issue with
an empty file.

-- Jeff