[OpenAFS-devel] is multihoming supported under openafs these days?

Harald Barth haba@pdc.kth.se
Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:07:28 +0200 (MEST)

>>  I have a server with 3 network interfaces. Can I use the server 3 interfaces
>>and put for some clients into CellServDB IP address of eth0 or eth1 or eth2 interface
>>respectively?

First there are the IP numbers of the vldb servers which should be
provided by DNS. You can have a different set on the inside and the
outside, but I would not recommend it. Then the vldb will tell the
client where to find the volume. As all vldbs will tell the same
answer to all clients, the ones that do not have connections to
the IP addrs that the vldb point to will loose (or first get a
timeout).

> - AFS uses all addresses by enumerating the network devices found by
> the kernel
> - The smallest IP number _must_ be on the first device, otherwise
> nothing works
> - It depends on pure luck if the internal cluster IPs are published
> to the outside, causing longish timeouts for client boot procedures.

> It would be nice to be able to tell AFS exactly which IPs to use for
> what.

You can restrict what interfaces AFS talks over by making a file called
NetInfo, one IP number per line, and putting that into the same
directory where you find your sysid file.

I don't think AFS can handle the whole "inside/outside" of todays
strange firewall policies very well. You can restrict AFS to one
"side", but trying to span a cell with some servers or interfaces
firewalled is just asking for a lot of work. I think I could pull
it off but I do not think I'd like it.

Harald.