[OpenAFS-devel] Re: "aklog -version" in 1.4.1?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 04:17:58 -0400

On Monday, April 10, 2006 08:34:17 PM -0700 Adam Megacz
<megacz@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> If a collaborator at one of these other AFS sites has troubles
> aklogging

Then you should send them to their local administrators, who know more than
a little about AFS and who actually control the software involved.  If one
of my users has trouble talking to your cell, I want to hear "I'm having
trouble talking to cell FOO at Berkeley", not "please install version XYZ
of program BAR on my machine because some bozo at another site said I need
that version".

Because, see, my answer to the former will be to tell then what switches to
pass to afslog and/or to push out whatever changes are needed to make your
cell work with our existing configuration.  Whereas my answer to the latter
will be "No, tell me what you're really trying to do", which costs at least
an extra round trip to the user.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer