[OpenAFS-devel] OSX Preference Pane

Ragnar Sundblad ragge@nada.kth.se
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 06:33:48 +0200

On 11 apr 2006, at 17.18, Franco Milicchio wrote:

> Hi everybody.
>
> I've made a preference pane for MacOSX for the OpenAFS client. This
> preference pane is available at:

Very nice!

> Few modifications are needed though.
>
> - /private/etc/hostconfig
>   Must contain a line OPENAFS=-YES- (or -NO-) in order to set the
> start-at-boot flag, like all other services. It makes no sense to
> have a service that cannot be turned on and off at boot like all
> the other (IMO).

I think putting it in /etc/hostconfig is a generally bad idea. I didn't
get if either our program or the user was supposed to change it, but
either of them may fail in writing it back correctly and that would
render
the entire machine more or less broken. I also think I have heard apple
saying that they wanted to migrate away from /etc/hostconfig, but I
can't
find that written down anywhere.

You should rather have a preference file of your own, either in
/Library/Preferences, ~root/Library/Preferences or in /var/db/openafs/
etc.

Arla's configuration/control program has a start/stop button that
also writes
to /usr/arla/etc/startatboot (I think), which contains either "yes"
or "no",
and if it is "yes" Arla will start at boot.

Keep up the good work! :-)

/ragge