[OpenAFS-devel] OSX Preference Pane

Franco Milicchio milicchio@dia.uniroma3.it
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:18:19 +0200

Hi everybody.

I've made a preference pane for MacOSX for the OpenAFS client. This
preference pane is available at:

/afs/dia.uniroma3.it/users/m/milicchio/public/openafs-pane.zip

or via anonymous CVS over SSH (user anonymous, password anonymous)

CVSROOT set to      :ext:anonymous@plm.dia.uniroma3.it:/home/cvs

Some notes:

- Note it is not completely working, a bug I discovered is when it is
deselected and re-selected, it seems that all widgets get to NULL.
I'm not a cocoa programmer, so anyone that knows why this happens is
very welcome :)

- Another issue is the button Start/Stop which is useless, but it was
useful to debug the code. It will disappear.

- I have no error checking, probably it will come, and probably we
need a setuid helper tool.

Few modifications are needed though.

- /private/etc/hostconfig
   Must contain a line OPENAFS=-YES- (or -NO-) in order to set the
start-at-boot flag, like all other services. It makes no sense to
have a service that cannot be turned on and off at boot like all the
other (IMO).

- OpenAFS (script in StartupItems)
   Must be modified in order to take care of the start-at-boot flag:

StartService()
{
# Start AFS at boot?
     if [ "${OPENAFS:=-YES-}" = "-YES-" ]; then
         echo "Starting OpenAFS"
     else
         echo "Skipping startup"
         exit 1
     fi

Any comments (and any help) are appreciated :)

PS. You should modify the source code to make it work using the real
directories, since I used some file in the project location. Anyway,
it's easy since you just need to uncomment a portion of the header.

--
Franco Milicchio <milicchio@dia.uniroma3.it>

The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears it is true.      [J. Robert Oppenheimer]