[OpenAFS-devel] nojumbo on server doesn't disable jumbograms on clients

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 17 Apr 2006 12:59:14 -0400

On Saturday, April 15, 2006 02:05:52 PM +0200 Harald Barth
<haba@pdc.kth.se> wrote:

>> While tracing a one-way performance problem with our AFS server (MTU
>> 1500), I  found that on the client side (MTU 8000), every few packets it
>> tried to send a  jumbogram, overriding the negotiated MTU of 1500.
>
> * rx can pack more than one rx message into a datagram.
> * rx can make datagrams > MTU.
> Both these "features" have been called jumbogram. I think
> the second one is not making things better with todays
> computers (fast enough CPUs) and network structure
> (fragmentation and MTU discovery often broken).

And to make matters worse, _neither_ of them is what people outside the AFS
community mean when they say "jumbogram".  Those people are referring to
the practice of using "oversized" ethernet packets, such as the original
poster's interface MTU of 8000 octets.  That practice _can_ be beneficial,
as long as such oversized packets are used only when the path MTU is
actually that large.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer