[OpenAFS-devel] keyring/pag support for linux

Kevin Coffman kwc@citi.umich.edu
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 08:49:30 -0400

On 8/3/06, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:

> >> I believe NFS4 is going to store its keys in the keyring directly,
> >> rather than using a PAG.  Would that be possible for AFS?
> >
> > Possibly, but not from day 1, which is how we are where we are now. It
> > requires a flag day, which it would be nice to sequester to a major
> > version release.
>
> It seems this needs to be said again, so I'll say it.
> It's not about storing keys.  A PAG is not a place to store keys.
> A PAG is a set of related processes.
>
> We can't "store ... keys in the keyring directly, rather than using a PAG",
> because we're not just "storing keys".  Besides a set of keys, a PAG is
> also associated with things like open connections to fileservers and cached
> access rights.  NFSv4 is going to have the same issues, at least if you
> want the performance not to suck.

I agree that NFSv4 needs a pag-like feature.  I have been living with
the assumption that the session keyring was the equivalent of a PAG --
which I think was David's original intention.

I'm running into issues now that might make a common PAG in the main
kernel desirable.  The current rpcsecgss code keys contexts by UID
(among other things), which is not going to work.

I need to discuss this with Trond, who is not (physically) around right now...

K.C.