[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] Further TransArc -> OpenAFS musings/planning (fwd)

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:17:02 -0400

On openafs-info, Marcus Watts wrote:

> It *is* possible to clobber your database if you rely on ubik
> to propagate and screw up adding or moving servers.  The catch
> is if you bring up enough servers to establish a quorum, but don't
> give them a valid copy of the database, they'll create a new
> empty one.  That new copy will overwrite any older copy you might
> subsequently supply.

If/when we actually do any work on Ubik improvements, we ought to figure
out a way to make this more robust.  I _want_ people to be able to upgrade
their servers by adding one server at a time, or a whole bunch, or
whatever, and not screw themselves.

-- Jeff