[OpenAFS-devel] bosserver cleanup

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 07 Feb 2006 15:59:54 -0500

On Tuesday, February 07, 2006 05:58:59 AM -0500 Jeffrey Altman
<jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> Christof Hanke wrote:
>
>> Ok, I see. If the LogLevel is very high you don't want to slow down the
>> Server unnecessarily.
>> So, what about introducing a second macro called SLog or whatever beside
>> the ViceLog one ?
>
> Why?  The name of the macro is just that, a name.  It only has meaning
> to the developers and we are well aware that simply because it is called
> "ViceLog" does not mean that the log entries are written to the same
> file as the file server log entries.
>
> If the consensus is that leaving the macro as "ViceLog" is too
> confusing, then the proper thing to do would be to rename it to
> something general and alter the file server code to use the new name.

I don't think it's confusing, and I don't think there's any reason to
rename it or to avoid using the unified logging code.  This is essentially
a transition in progress; it's appropriate to modify the bosserver to use
it, but not to design something completely new and duplicate code that we
are trying to unify just because you don't like the name of something.

-- Jeff