[OpenAFS-devel] cvs build 7FEB06 - stuck in salvaging filesystem mode

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 07 Feb 2006 16:18:00 -0500

On Tuesday, February 07, 2006 03:10:47 PM -0600 "Christopher D. Clausen"
<cclausen@acm.org> wrote:

> I just built openafs from CVS (as recomened by Mr. Altman and with a
> patch from Mr. Brashear) on sun4x_510.
>
> It installed fine, but as soon as afs started, a salvage started (normal
> operation) and seems to be in the "salvaging filesystem" state forever.
> Also, I don't see the salvager process running like I do on my other
> systems (during the salvage.)  If I run the salvager -force manually (not
> sure if this is good to do or not) it finishes after writing to the
> SalvageLog, but bos still thinks that the salvager is running.

Run 'bos status -long'; I bet you'll see that there are a number of
restarts, indicating that the fileserver is always exiting abnormally,
triggering a salvage.

Then look at the FileLog and see _why_ the fileserver is aborting.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer