[OpenAFS-devel] cvs build 7FEB06 - stuck in salvaging filesystem mode

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Tue, 7 Feb 2006 15:33:55 -0600

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 07, 2006 03:10:47 PM -0600 "Christopher D.
> Clausen" <cclausen@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> I just built openafs from CVS (as recomened by Mr. Altman and with a
>> patch from Mr. Brashear) on sun4x_510.
>>
>> It installed fine, but as soon as afs started, a salvage started
>> (normal operation) and seems to be in the "salvaging filesystem"
>> state forever. Also, I don't see the salvager process running like I
>> do on my other systems (during the salvage.)  If I run the salvager
>> -force manually (not sure if this is good to do or not) it finishes
>> after writing to the SalvageLog, but bos still thinks that the
>> salvager is running.
>
> Run 'bos status -long'; I bet you'll see that there are a number of
> restarts, indicating that the fileserver is always exiting abnormally,
> triggering a salvage.

[root@alnitak:/usr/afs/logs]# /usr/afs/bin/bos status afs1 -long
bos: no such entry (getting tickets)
bos: running unauthenticated
Instance fs, (type is fs) currently running normally.
    Auxiliary status is: salvaging file system.
    Process last started at Tue Feb  7 14:51:58 2006 (1 proc starts)
    Command 1 is '/usr/afs/bin/fileserver'
    Command 2 is '/usr/afs/bin/volserver'
    Command 3 is '/usr/afs/bin/salvager'

Instance buserver, (type is simple) currently running normally.
    Process last started at Tue Feb  7 14:51:58 2006 (1 proc starts)
    Command 1 is '/usr/afs/bin/buserver'

Instance ptserver, (type is simple) currently running normally.
    Process last started at Tue Feb  7 14:51:58 2006 (1 proc starts)
    Command 1 is '/usr/afs/bin/ptserver'

Instance vlserver, (type is simple) currently running normally.
    Process last started at Tue Feb  7 14:51:58 2006 (1 proc starts)
    Command 1 is '/usr/afs/bin/vlserver'

What would indicate restarts?

> Then look at the FileLog and see _why_ the fileserver is aborting.

[root@alnitak:/usr/afs/logs]# cat FileLog
cat: cannot open FileLog
[root@alnitak:/usr/afs/logs]# ls -l FileLog
FileLog: No such file or directory

There does not appear to be a fileserver directory.
Hmm... could it be that the fileserver isn't starting?

If I start the fileserver manually the bos status output does not
change, although I assume part of that could be due to the way the
bosserver spawns the various fs processes.

<<CDC