[OpenAFS-devel] cvs build 7FEB06 - stuck in salvaging filesystem mode

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 19:21:54 -0600

Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:
> Automake is not used at all, though aclocal is.  You should use the
> regen.sh script, which will run the tools with the correct arguments
> and in the correct order.
>
> configure and aclocal.m4 always have a comment at the top indicating
> what tool generated them, as do Makefile.in's generated by automake.
>
> At present, the official OpenAFS source distributions are prepared
> using autoconf-2.13 and aclocal from automake-1.4.  However, there is
> some attempt made to maintain compatibility with newer versions.  If
> you encounter a problem which is directly attributable to using a
> newer version of one of these tools (particularly, if you are able to
> reproduce the problem with the newer tools, but not with the versions
> I mentioned), you should file a bug.

Well, I just checked out current cvs and used regen.sh with the above
versions of automake and autoconf (using encaps from www.encap.org) and
the binaries produced seem to work and I'm not having that strange
salvage problem.

I will try with the newer versions again to eliminate changes within CVS
as the cause of the error.

What sort of info would be useful for this bug report?  I have output
from regen, configure and make for both the non-working and the working
versions.

<<CDC