[OpenAFS-devel] cvs build 7FEB06 - stuck in salvaging filesystem mode

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 19:21:58 -0600

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Christopher D. Clausen wrote:
>
>> [root@alnitak:/usr/afs/bin]# ./salvager
>> Exiting immediately without salvage. Look into the FileLog to find
>> volumes which really need to be salvaged!
>
> Did you --enable-fast-restart (I think that's what it is)? Did you do
> that also when you did 1.4.1-rc6? Basically I'm wondering if the CVS
> head is really broken or if you had a mixed set of binaries in play.

Yes, I did.  Yes, I did.  I did test via manually trying a bos salvage
and no salvager ran.  There was some strange defunct process with
bosserver as the parent.  I also manually forced a salvage and it
appeared to work, there was just no bosserver / salvager interaction.

I guess it is possible that I didn't remove some binary.  I can retest
if you believe I am at fault.  I did compile and install rc6 from cvs
using the same process, and it does work (its still running right now on
one of my servers,) so I don't think there are mixed binaries on my
system.

I heard from some people off-list that they have seen this same
behaviour when compiling on sun4x_510, so as I said, I have no idea what
is going on.

Let me ask this, has anyone sucessfully compiled from cvs head with:
./configure --with-krb5-conf=/usr/local/bin/krb5-config --enable-transarc-paths
 --enable-bitmap-later --enable-fast-restart --enable-supergroups --enable-bos-new-config
 --enable-debug-lwp  and had it work on the

(I don't care so much about the bos-new-config and bitmap-later, but the
fast-restarts are nice.)

<<CDC
--
Christopher D. Clausen