[OpenAFS-devel] cvs build 7FEB06 - stuck in salvaging filesystem mode

Tom Keiser tkeiser@gmail.com
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 02:11:17 -0500

On 2/14/06, Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Christopher D. Clausen wrote:
>
> > [root@alnitak:/usr/afs/bin]# ./salvager
> > Exiting immediately without salvage. Look into the FileLog to find volu=
mes
> > which really need to be salvaged!
>
> Did you --enable-fast-restart (I think that's what it is)? Did you do tha=
> also when you did 1.4.1-rc6? Basically I'm wondering if the CVS head is
> really broken or if you had a mixed set of binaries in play.

I can confirm that we have a problem.  Basically, the windows-64 type
safety patch changed a bunch of variable declarations of type long to
type size_t, which changed their signedness.  This broke a few
comparison operator checks in the lwp iomgr, resulting in IOMGR_Select
returning 1 instead of -1.  Thus, bproc() never reaps its children,
and the bnodes never change state.  I don't really have time right now
to work on a patch, but that's the source of the bosserver problems.

Regards,

-Tom