[OpenAFS-devel] type errors in openafs 1.4.(1,2)

Steve Knodle slk@bu.edu
Mon, 3 Jul 2006 16:37:41 -0400 (EDT)

I have noticed several typing errors in openafs-1.4.1 and 1.4.2-beta
and I would like to know what the proper method is for submitting
patches for them for evaluation.

I have been charged with resolving a bug in openafs that hits our
clamav and spamassassin linux box farm when running a variant of centos 4
(kernel 2.6.9-34).  A block of text read from a temp file
in AFS gets replaced by a same-sized block of zero bytes.  I am working
to trim it down to a small enough example to post as a bug.

While compiling in some diagnostic hooks, I noticed a fair number of
compiler warnings, and started looking at a few.  There seem to be
several places where variables are declared to be "pointer to pointer to
thing" but actually used as "pointer to thing", for example:
"des_cblock * key" in des_string_to_key
and
"caddr_t *" in typedef bool_t(*xdrproc_t) (void *, caddr_t *, u_int)
in "src/rx/xdr.h"

I would prefer to file patches against 1.4.1, since that is where
the bug appears, and we don't yet have 1.4.2-beta1 ready to test.

What is the most useful way to submit proposed fixes for these?

Steve Knodle
slk@bu.edu

Senior Systems Analyst
Office of Information Technology