[OpenAFS-devel] Multiple clients behind NAT

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:24:57 -0400

On Saturday, July 08, 2006 01:19:32 AM -0400 Ethan Tira-Thompson
<ejt@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> However, the trouble I didn't originally foresee is that the AFS  client
> running on the NAT box is running on the public network, and  gets direct
> access without consulting the NAT.  (or does it?)  So if  a machine on
> the private network tries to use the same port, I'm not  sure if the NAT
> server can know that another process on the machine  is already using
> that port, particularly with UDP (with TCP, it could  figure out that it
> can't bind to the port, but with UDP being  stateless, it might not know
> there's another process also using the  port...?)

You are either worrying too much, or grasping at straws to try to explain a
problem you're seeing but not telling us about.  There is not a "NAT
server" process; packet forwarding and address translation are done in the
network stack.  The right thing happens, unless you've tried hard to break
it.

If you're seeing some actual problem and trying to figure out what's
causing it, I suggest describing the problem to the list, rather than
asking if your guess is right.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer