[OpenAFS-devel] OpenAFS and HFS+ (Case-Sensitive, Journaled)

Jon Allen Boone ipmonger@delamancha.org
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 17:41:31 -0400

On Jul 14, 2006, at 15:37, Jon Allen Boone wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2006, at 01:23, emoy@apple.com wrote:
>
>> There really isn't anything that special about the coding.  The
>> original coding used 64 characters, including A-Z and a-z.  The
>> "special" coding just uses other punctuation characters instead of
>> upper case letters.  When I made the change, I figured users on
>> other platforms would be used to the original coding, so I just
>> special cased the DARWIN case to use the "special" encoding.
>
>   Thank you for this very informative response.  I went ahead and
> rebuilt my cell using HFS+ Case-Sensitive, Journaled FS on all
> partitions.  So far, everything is ok, as you might well expect.

Ha!  Well, that was a short-lived expectation.  Everything seemed to
work ok, with the exception of the following error messages that
appeared in the system.log output:

# this appeared 3 times
angst kernel[0]: afs: byte-range lock/unlock ignored; make sure no
one else is running this program.

# later this appeared 4 times
angst kernel[0]: afs: Lost contact with file server X.X.X.X in cell
delamancha.org (multi-homed address; other same-host interfaces maybe
up)

And, sadly, my volumes have gone walking and taken the data with
them.  :-(

vos listvldb shows 17 volumes in total
vos listvol angst shows only 5 volumes and all of those off-line.

*sigh*

To UFS we must go! To UFS we must go!
Hi-ho the Derry-O! To UFS we must go!

--jon