[OpenAFS-devel] OpenAFS and HFS+ (Case-Sensitive, Journaled)

Jon Allen Boone ipmonger@delamancha.org
Fri, 14 Jul 2006 15:37:55 -0400

On Jul 14, 2006, at 01:23, emoy@apple.com wrote:

> There really isn't anything that special about the coding.  The
> original coding used 64 characters, including A-Z and a-z.  The
> "special" coding just uses other punctuation characters instead of
> upper case letters.  When I made the change, I figured users on
> other platforms would be used to the original coding, so I just
> special cased the DARWIN case to use the "special" encoding.

   Thank you for this very informative response.  I went ahead and
rebuilt my cell using HFS+ Case-Sensitive, Journaled FS on all
partitions.  So far, everything is ok, as you might well expect.

> The "special" coding should work fine on either a case sensitive or
> insensitive filesystem.  The only difference is if you actually
> have to type the paths (which is rarely needed), you may need to
> shell escape some of the characters in the "special" coding.

   I see what you mean.  I went started looking at the volumes in
order to see if I wanted to just copy them over from the UFS
partitions to the HFS+ partitions and there were quite a few that
would have been "challenging" to type out on the command line.  :-)

--jon