[OpenAFS-devel] OpenAFS and HFS+ (Case-Sensitive, Journaled)

emoy@apple.com emoy@apple.com
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 22:23:55 -0700

There really isn't anything that special about the coding.  The
original coding used 64 characters, including A-Z and a-z.  The
"special" coding just uses other punctuation characters instead of
upper case letters.  When I made the change, I figured users on other
platforms would be used to the original coding, so I just special
cased the DARWIN case to use the "special" encoding.

The "special" coding should work fine on either a case sensitive or
insensitive filesystem.  The only difference is if you actually have
to type the paths (which is rarely needed), you may need to shell
escape some of the characters in the "special" coding.
Edward Moy
Apple

(This message is from me as a reader of this list, and not a statement
from Apple.)