[OpenAFS-devel] keyring/pag support for linux

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:42:24 +0100

On 20 Jul 2006, at 04:39, Ken Hornstein wrote:

>>> If we do nothing, there will be no pags in the linux client.
>>
>> People have been saying that for years; it hasn't happened yet.
>> How about less alarmism and more good engineering practice?
>
> Actually, you're wrong there.  I believe it's Linux amd64 systems that
> make the system call table readonly.  Those systems don't have pags
> (maybe it's not amd64, but whatever it is, we have one of them).

With RedHat, this is true for all kernels that ship with FC5 (and
perhaps FC4, I haven't checked). There is a workaround, for i386 at
least, of rebuilding the kernel with CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA disabled.

We're rolling out FC5 this summer, and have decided to do this rebuild
on all RedHat kernels before we ship them. This isn't a particularly
popular move, but it appears to be the only option available to us.

Simon.