[OpenAFS-devel] keyring/pag support for linux

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:48:13 -0400

On Thursday, July 20, 2006 08:42:24 AM +0100 Simon Wilkinson
<sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>>> People have been saying that for years; it hasn't happened yet.
>>> How about less alarmism and more good engineering practice?
>>
>> Actually, you're wrong there.  I believe it's Linux amd64 systems that
>> make the system call table readonly.  Those systems don't have pags
>> (maybe it's not amd64, but whatever it is, we have one of them).

I'm not wrong; recent versions of Linux have the option of making certain
things read-only, but do not have that feature enabled by default.  Even on
systems where CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA is disabled, you get PAG's; they just
don't survive setgroups.  We could work around this; we've simply chosen
not to, for now.

> With RedHat, this is true for all kernels that ship with FC5 (and
> perhaps FC4, I haven't checked). There is a workaround, for i386 at
> least, of rebuilding the kernel with CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA disabled.

Or not using RedHat's kernels at all, which is what we've done ~forever.