[OpenAFS-devel] setgroups() fails to change pag under linux 2.6

David Thompson thomas@cs.wisc.edu
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:04:31 -0500

Derrick J Brashear wrote:

>I bet you'd complain if we panic'd or simply didn't return; What other
>options are there?

I'm not complaining at all.  I understand why things are the way they are.  I
had hopes that the exhaustibility of pag IDs (2^24 over the lifetime of the
OS) would be dealt with as part of the switch to keyrings.   For us there will
be issues at one level or another as long as that limitation remains in
effect.  If I understand the discussion that's been going on in parallel with
this one (re: keyring support), it looks like pag IDs are going to continue to
be limited even with keyrings.  I wish that wasn't the case.

I have implemented a scheme of cache-able pags as a backup to unlimited pags;
several individuals are asking questions about that approach, and I'm trying
to answer their questions.

Dave