[OpenAFS-devel] afsd: Error -1 in basic initialization.

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Sun, 18 Jun 2006 01:34:42 -0400

On Saturday, June 17, 2006 08:47:58 AM -0700 Chris Mattmann
<chris.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> Hi Harald,
>
>  Thanks for your reply! Here are my replies to your questions:
>>
>>> 4. ln -s /usr/vice/etc/afsd /etc/init.d/afsd
>>
>> Is this the binary afsd? Is that as it should be? Normally I start
>> with the rc.afs script.
>
> That fixed it!! I was sym linking the wrong file to my /etc/init.d
> directory! I went online and found SOURCES/opeafs-client.init for Fedora
> Core 3 for openafs-1.4.1 and then I copied that to /etc/init.d/afs and
> then executed:
>
> sudo /sbin/service afs start

You should not have had to do any such thing.
The script you need is installed as part of the openafs-client RPM.
All you needed to do was

/sbin/service openafs-client start

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer