[OpenAFS-devel] [OSX] Service startup proposal

Franco Milicchio milicchio@dia.uniroma3.it
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 19:01:02 +0100

Hi.

I've been looking for the best way of starting and stopping AFS,
following Apple's guidelines (having care of back-compatibility with
pre-tiger, so no pure launchd service).

In /etc/hostconfig I'd add a line corresponding to the start-at-boot
flag:

OPENAFS=-YES-
OPENAFS=-NO-

In /Library/StartupItems/OpenAFS/OpenAFS script, I'd modify the
startup script adding at the top of StartService() the lines commonly
used in system scripts like network time (or equivalent of course):

StartService()
{
    if [ "${OPENAFS}:=YES" = "-YES-" ]; then
       start afs
    else
       whatever
    fi
}

This way, a user can select wether or not to have AFS at boot, and
manually starting and stopping it. I'm writing a small applescript
for this, easing some users of AFS with laptops. We use a lot AFS,
and many would also use it on laptops, but network loss, AFS and
finder don't mix :)

My idea in the future is to add some way an item to ``Sharing''
preferences to start and stop AFS, and set some options. Some way...
it should be possible.

What do you think about this? Is it that stupid? :)

--
Franco Milicchio <milicchio@dia.uniroma3.it>

The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears it is true.      [J. Robert Oppenheimer]