[OpenAFS-devel] What are the supported underlying filesystems for the partitions on /afs?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:19:20 -0800

Pedro Perez <pperez@opensourcetechnologies.net> writes:

> So, my question is, which of the following filesystems can be used with
> OpenAFS?

>    ext2          yes
>    ext3          ?
>    XFS          yes
>    JFS           ?
>    reiserfs   ?
>    reiser4    ?
>    all of the above   ?

On Linux, you can put the client cache on ext2 or ext3.  Nothing else.
You definitely cannot use XFS.

On IRIX, you can use XFS for the client cache.  IRIX is a different
issue.

On Solaris, you can put the cache on a file system with logging, but if
you do, you should make it a separate partition.

For the *server*, you can run the namei file server on pretty much any
file system.  The inode file server may be more sensitive; I'm not sure.

> Then he goes on to say:
>       "If you are dedicating partitions on a RAID device to OpenAFS, only
> use hardware RAID."

> Can anyone comment on this?

I don't think that's an issue any more.