[OpenAFS-devel] [OSX] Service startup proposal

Roland Kuhn rkuhn@e18.physik.tu-muenchen.de
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:36:44 +0100

--Apple-Mail-34-751847827

Hi Derek!

On 13 Mar 2006, at 16:52, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Roland Kuhn <rkuhn@e18.physik.tu-muenchen.de> writes:
>
>> Question to the gurus: How difficult would it be to make AFS behave
>> when faced with loss of networking? What I'm thinking about is a mode
>> where you get EIO (or something) for all requests concerning AFS
>> instead of having to wait three minutes for an answer which is
>> guaranteed not to come. This can easily be found out using some cocoa
>> interface (forgot the name of the function). It would also be nice to
>> be able to unmount AFS _after_ the network problems have started.
>
> There are some patches in AFS to do this..  In particular in RX.  But
> because RX is based on UDP, it requires that the UDP layer actually
> return an ICMP Host Unreachable message back to the caller stack.
> Most OSes do not return this type of error, so there's no feedback
> that the sending failed.
>
> On linux this error IS returned, so AFS does time out much quicker
> when the network goes away.

This mechanism goes in the right direction. However, I was thinking
about MacOS X. It would be nice if OpenAFS could be sent into a dumb
'disconnected' mode (only replying EIO to everything immediately) by
a daemon which monitors the corresponding COCOA framework. Of course
this catches only the laptop "I pulled my cable" case, but if it
would be relatively easy...

Ciao,
                     Roland

--
TU Muenchen, Physik-Department E18, James-Franck-Str., 85748 Garching
Telefon 089/289-12575; Telefax 089/289-12570

--Apple-Mail-34-751847827
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-34-751847827--