[OpenAFS-devel] MIT supports OpenAFS under RHEL 3 and RHEL 4.

William Cattey wdc@MIT.EDU
Mon, 8 May 2006 14:56:23 -0400

Sorry for the delay in replying.  I had to check in with others to
get the facts correct, and then got backlogged with another project.

We currently build from local distributions of kerberos and
incorporate the NRL AFS-krb5 migration kit.  But stuff is changing
here to try and do less with locally built stuff, and more standard
issue binaries or source trees.  That mayinclude Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 3, if our customers are  slow to embrace RHEL 4.

Detail:

(Some of the explanation is known to  Derek but it included for
clarity to the broader openafs-devel readership.)

We have two builds of AFS, at MIT: one for Athena which tightly
integrates AFS, the OS (in this case Linux), and other applications
and services, and the other which is for stock Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

On Athena our aklog and asetkey come from the NRL AFS-krb5 migration
kit.
For stand-alone RHEL 3 we use Derek's RPMs.

We're in process of making Athena rely less upon locally built source
trees, and more upon the binaries that third parties compile and
distribute.

We allowed ourselves to be distracted with other work rather than
pushing our customers to migrate their AFS-requiring RHEL 4
installations to something based on an OpenAFS Release Candidate.
Now that we have an official OpenAFS 1.4.1 that fully supports Red
Hat Enterprise 4, we can get traction on getting our customers to
standardize on RHEL 4, and leave RHEL3.  If we are unsuccessful in
weaning our customers off RHEL3, we may find ourselves in a situation
where we build from stock sources or incorporate stock binaries, but
do so on top of RHEL 3.

Bottom Line: doing RHEL 3 sensibly is helpful to us, and makes for a
more graceful fall-back situation if our customers are slow to
embrace RHEL 4.

I hope this provides the clarity you seek in understanding our desire
for RHEL 3 support in OpenAFS.

-wdc