[OpenAFS-devel] Mac OS X 10.4.6 and OpenAFS server issues

Thomas Kula kula@tproa.net
Wed, 31 May 2006 14:06:14 -0500

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 01:45:14PM -0400, Jon Allen Boone wrote:
>   I've tried compiling the 1.4.1 release code out of CVS and using
> it to set up a server on my Mac running Mac OS 10.4.6.  I keep
> getting kernel panic / hanging issues when the /vicea and /viceb
> partitions are mounted and then openafs tries to start.
>
>   I have two questions:
>
>   1.  How do I get a better idea of where in the process the panic/
> hang is happening?
>
>   2.  Is it really necessary for /vice[a,b] to be separate
> partitions?  Spotlight and some other proccess (diskarbitrationd?
> Finder?) keep adding .files to the partitions, which I'm guessing is
> playing a part in the problem.

For my talk at the Best Practices Workshop[1] I've been running the
server on OS X Server 10.4.6 and haven't had any panics or hangs.
I started out by making symlinks from /vicep* -> /Volumes/vicep*
and then touching /Volumes/vicep*/AlwaysAttach, but lately I've been
making OS X think it should mount volumes where they should be and
not using the symlinks. I'm not sure if this is necessary, but it
makes me feel better so I do it. I didn't think about turning off
Spotlight until you mentioned it, but I did figure out how to do
that on my laptop last night and so will probably do so for the talk.

My vicep partitions are formatted UFS. And I've been running the
release 1.4.1 --- all the server stuff is in /Library/OpenAFS/
Tools/root.server/

My test hardware is pretty gimpy, relatively speaking, so I havne't
done much but rudimentary tests. It seems to be stable, however,
so I'm probably of no help with it panicing/hanging.

[1] http://www.pmw.org/afsbpw06/

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula@tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/
Mathom House upon the Canw, The People's Republic of Ames