[OpenAFS-devel] .35 sec rx delay bug?

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Wed, 08 Nov 2006 10:55:08 -0500

>What would it be that makes packet fragmentation and
>reassembly so immensely more efficient compared with RX packet
>handling? Why can TCP fill up a GigE leisurely and RX just gets about
>half of it sweating a complete CPU?

Fundamentally ... the real issue is that large numbers of smart people
have spent a lot of time tuning TCP on various platforms for more than
a decade.  In that same time, Rx has received very little attention.  I
was able to fill a Gig-E pipe with RxTCP with relatively little work
(by "little" work I mean tuning I did to RxTCP - RxTCP ended up being a
lot of work).  All that I need to do now is finish the damn thing and
get it working in real clients and servers.  Hopefully soon.

--Ken