[OpenAFS-devel] .35 sec rx delay bug?

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Thu, 09 Nov 2006 15:21:16 -0500

>> Hm, I am wondering if that's a win; that means two extra syscalls.
>
>Here two extra syscalls (a few microseconds nowadays?) can save processing
>a packet (or more), and incurring network latency (a hundred microseconds
>on my Ether).

The syscalls (context switch, a good chunk of cache getting flushed)
add up.  Why do you think pread() and pwrite() were created?  My point
was that the extra syscalls may end up killing the advantage you get
from sendfile() (the Linux sendfile() ... other sendfiles can add
in header data).  But ... that's just thinking out loud.  Maybe it
will be fine.

--Ken