[OpenAFS-devel] Build system tweak required for SUSE

Jean-Marc Saffroy saffroy@gmail.com
Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:21:33 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006, Marcus Watts wrote:

> In fact, the Makefile they do include is not what ships with 2.6,
> and looks amazingly wimpy...   Oh my.  Wow.  What they ships
> has these lines in Makefile:
> 	KERNELSRC    := ../../../linux-2.6.5-7.282
> 		$(MAKE) -C $(KERNELSRC) O=$(KERNELOUTPUT)
> which basically means there's a whole another layer of indirection going
> on here, and the *REAL* kernel source lives somewhere else entirely
> different (and also means if you don't have *THAT* you can't build modules.)

This looks a *lot* like what you get when building a vanilla kernel out of
its source tree, and there is no real problem with that (except configure
does not recognize it as a 2.6 tree, see the small patch I posted a few
days ago).

> Mind you, I do have some fairly crazy experimental logic to chase down
> kernel build flags in 2.4 by using a variation on the kernel build
> process to make it cough up the compiler options being used.

Did you have to do something special with these flags, or was it just
needed for build? Because I think that, back when I was building against
2.4 trees, there was a build method for modules that was very similar to
what we have now on 2.6 (and the build flags ended up in a file).

> The most reliable way I know to determine linux version number
> is to try building this:

Yes that's reliable, but if a simpler test is good enough (eg. a certain
file or directory exists), it might be nice to save some time (I'm not a
fan of configures that take ages to complete, they are CPU- and IO-hungry,
and not parallelizable).

--
saffroy@gmail.com