[OpenAFS-devel] openafs on debian with linux 2.6.18 kernel

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:37:40 -0400

On Wednesday, October 25, 2006 05:08:47 PM +0200 Jan Pospisil
<honik@kma.zcu.cz> wrote:

> Hello, I've just found two more issues:
>
> 1. In the source distribution openafs-1.4.2-src.tar (available on the
> web), and therefore as well as in the openafs-modules-source debian
> package, there is a wrong absolute path to cpp (there is no /lib/cpp on
> debians i386_*). The faulty files are:
>
> ./src/lwp/Makefile.in

You don't care; this use doesn't apply to linux

> ./src/sys/Makefile.in

... and this one only applies to AIX and HP-UX

> ./src/shlibafsrpc/Makefile.in
> ./src/libafsrpc/Makefile.in

These uses apply to Linux, but I've never seen a complaint before.
/lib/cpp has been the traditional location of the C preprocessor for
decades, and that reference has been there since we got the code from IBM.
Also, there's a cpp in my Debian system.  Perhaps you need to do
'apt-get install cpp' ?

> 2. The build fails with the following error:
>
> CC [M] /usr/src/modules/openafs/src/libafs/MODLOAD-2.6.18-SP/afs_analyze.o
> In file included from /usr/src/modules/openafs/src/afs/afsincludes.h:44,
>                   from
> /usr/src/modules/openafs/src/libafs/MODLOAD-2.6.18-SP/afs_analyze.c:36:
> /usr/src/modules/openafs/src/afs/afs.h:157: error: field 'Fid' has
> incomplete type
> /usr/src/modules/openafs/src/afs/afs.h:201: error: field 'fid' has
> incomplete type

> I reported this behaviour to this list earlier this year but without any
> help.

You got help:

>> This isn't really a development issue unless you're hacking code.

In other words, openafs-devel is a list for discussing OpenAFS development,
not for asking questions about problems you're having building, installing,
or using it.  Those questions belong on openafs-info.

>> However, that error suggests you somehow have non-AFS headers in your
>> include path interfering with the AFSFid type being defined.

What Derrick is telling you is that this is not a bug in OpenAFS; it's a
problem with your build environment.  We can't guess what it is; you'll
have to look for it.

The AFSFid type is defined in src/fsint/common.xg.

As Derrick said, something is interfering with the build.  In this case, it
looks like it's your lack of a cpp, which is preventing rxgen from
including common.xg when afsint.xg is compiled into afsint.h.  So again,
the solution to your problem is

apt-get install cpp

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer