[OpenAFS-devel] security implications of letting non-system:administrator lock volumes?

Adam Megacz megacz@cs.berkeley.edu
Fri, 06 Apr 2007 18:29:56 -0700

I've been tinkering with changing fileserver/volserver to let any user
with "a" rights on the root of a RW volume perform a "vos release" on
that volume.

I quickly discovered, however, that this requires locking the volume,
which is currently a system:administrators-only thing.

Could a user cause harm outside a volume by maliciously
locking/unlocking it?  In particular, I'm wondering about the user
causing corruption to other volumes on the same partition by forcibly
unlocking a volume while something was being done with it.  Or perhaps
crashing volserver/fileserver by corrupting his/her own volume.

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380