[OpenAFS-devel] Solaris afs.rc file damage

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 20:30:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007, Dean Anderson wrote:

> I noticed that the solaris afs.rc files have an unscheduled reboot in
> the script.  This is a very nasty practice, and resulted in an
> unscheduled reboot of a production solaris server because I didn't
> review the rc script closely enough. My bad.  Somehow, I had become
> fairly lax with respect to OpenAFS, assuming that people who checked in
> code were more responsible.  I suppose we all make mistakes.  This was
> with the 1.5.17 version, but I see that reboots were also in the 1.2.9
> version. I haven't looked at earlier versions.  But I notice that its
> not just Solaris that has this problem.

Try going back to 1.0. Changes since then were copyright language, and
installing an option for the afsdb switch. I suppose I could
pontificate about how easy it is to run cvs log, but I won't. This is the
first complaint I recall, in any case.

You could contribute a patch. It's not clear to me that it's the right
answer, but the reboot isn't very polite either.

> So, I suppose it is necessary to pontificate a bit on the subject, and
> explain why rebooting in an init/rc script is a bad idea.

What gave you that idea?