[OpenAFS-devel] Solaris afs.rc file damage

Tom Keiser tkeiser@gmail.com
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 02:53:43 -0400

On 4/12/07, Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com> wrote:
> There may not be any degradation. The performance differences come if
> you have to replace every syscall with an open/ioctl/close cycle.  This

I'm not concerned with open/close overhead -- the uses I'm referring
to fall back to ioctl fd caching if syscall(AFS_SYSCALL,...) probes
fail during application startup.

What I am concerned about are call path latency differences, and far
more importantly, locking model differences, between syscall() and
ioctl() on our supported unix platforms.  For the project I'm working
on, the path into the kernel module has to be lockless, and call
latency needs to be very low, with a small jitter.

--
Tom Keiser
tkeiser@gmail.com