[OpenAFS-devel] Solaris afs.rc file damage

Dean Anderson dean@av8.com
Tue, 17 Apr 2007 23:36:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com> writes:
>
> > I'm thinking that perhaps we are going to need 2 kinds of kernel
> > modules, one that uses afs_syscall (possibly statically linked), and one
> > that uses ioctl, and userspace framework that works with both.
>
> Why would you need two separate modules?  The Linux kernel module just
> provides both interfaces.

The afs_syscall interface can, I expect, always be statically linked in
even if a kernel doesn't offer dynamic system calls. So I anticipate
that the choice eventually becomes relink kernel and reboot for best
performance or use the dynamically loaded driver module with a slight
performance penalty, but no reboot/relink.

On systems that can support both interfaces dynamically, this isn't a
problem, and there is no need. But on systems that can't do both
dynamically, you will need a syscall module that can be statically
linked, and you will need a dynamically loaded driver module.  A static
module and a loadable module are somewhat different.

		--Dean

617 344 9000