[OpenAFS-devel] making supergroups the default and removing the option?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 20:50:49 -0700

"Christopher D. Clausen" <cclausen@acm.org> writes:
> Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> wrote:

>> While on IRC, Chris Clausen suggested making the SUPERGROUPS option the
>> default and removing the option to disable it. I know that this changes
>> the ptserver behaves.
>>
>> What are the repercussions of doing this? What are the reasons for and
>> against?

> I think the PTS database gets changed in such a way and reverting to
> your previous binaries will not just work.

Correct, although I believe that's only true if you actually nest a group.

I don't know what happens if you're running a mixed set of ptservers, some
with supergroups enabled and some without, and you create a nested group.