[OpenAFS-devel] Searchable OpenAFS source code

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:24:45 -0500

Dale Ghent <daleg@umbc.edu> writes:
> Cc: Jim Rees <rees@umich.edu>, openafs-devel@openafs.org
> From: Dale Ghent <daleg@umbc.edu>
> Subject: Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Searchable OpenAFS source code
> Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:41:51 -0500
> To: Marcus Watts <mdw@umich.edu>
>
> On Jan 16, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Marcus Watts wrote:
>
> > You mean like:
> > 	cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.openafs.org:/cvs co CVSROOT
> >
> > Hopefully that's not what you really want; looks like the last time
> > anything under there was updated was 2003.  Subscribing some automated
> > script to openafs-cvs@openafs.org might get you more of what you need,
> > that is until the spam starts to arrive.  I suspect Derrick can get
> > you
> > set up with something actually useful.
>
> procmail scripts for emails aren't exactly what I need. OpenGrok
> needs to be able to index the CVS foo,v log/diff files directly,
> which are only found within CVSROOT.
>
> Indexes for the CVS tree are then kept up to date via cron job.
>
> /dale

Yes, I'm sure they're not "exactly' what you need.

You haven't said "exactly" what you need, but you appear to be asking
for a way to track commits.  Normally you could do that by watching
"CVSROOT/history", but that file doesn't currently exist in the openafs
repository.  You probably could get this by hooking into "loginfo" - but
that's some Derrick will have to set up for you.  Another interesting
file that doesn't exist is "val-tags".  Several other files contain
additional repository information (modules, config) or additional hooks
(rcsinfo, editinfo).

I think you're going to need to figure out exactly what you need
first.  It's possible you'll find that opengrok actually needs to run
on the cvs repository host itself, and more than likely that you want
stuff changed in the way cvs is configured.  It's conceivable that you
could avoid the need to reconfigure cvs by altering opengrok to make it
smarter (ie, teach it how to work with procmail) but I suspect you can
reach a better accomodation with Derrick.  Derrick time is a limited
commodity, so you'll probably find it helpful to do as much research as
possible first -- for instance, setting up a dummy cvs repository
configured exactly like the openafs repository today, then configuring
opengrok to run with that in the least invasive way possible and
documenting what you changed on the cvs end of things to make it work.

				-Marcus